How did we end up here? We've lived in Northern Illinois for 29 years. Way too long for this vegetarian! Thankfully, we're only 90 miles from Madison,WI.

Monday, October 30, 2023

My first visit to Rhinebeck!

We hopped on an airplane and for this trip we headed to the east coast of the US.


The NY sheep and wool festival in Rhinebeck,NY has been a place I've had on my list to visit for awhile now. And it was bigger and better than I imagined.


It was like Disney for fiber enthusiasts. It was pure bliss to be surrounded by such crafty people.




I took part in a project bag exchange. I received a lovely bag, mini skeins, and stitch markers from Jocelyn.
She said she's just starting an Etsy shop but it's not quite ready yet.


I picked Sunday to attend as I've been told Saturday is very crowded. I'm so glad I did. This is a picture of the parking lot during a break we took for a "picnic from the trunk".

And here is a view of the shoppers in one of the barns. 

We took a break from shopping to watch the "leaping llamas" and goats, and alpacas!

And I had to stop and say "thanks for your fiber" to a few sheep.


This one had a nice "smile".

We bought some maple cotton candy and enjoyed the beautiful fall weather. 


We had an AirBnB in Catskill so we decided to walk across the Hudson River via the RipVanWinkle bridge.

I think we were picturing a walkway under the bridge but the sidewalk was right beside traffic.

It was still a beautiful view of the river.

Husband had a good gluten free pizza in Hudson,NY and I had a good beer and a great table by the window.

Catskill had a good cider place,Left Bank, that was gluten free.

I had a really good porter at Crossroads Brewing Company. Also in Catskill.

Monday was all about exploring the Catskill Mountains!

It was cold and raining when we started our hike.

But the trees were putting on a show.



And the sun broke through midway through and boy was it stunning from the top of the mountain.

All the streams along the path reminded us of our four years living along Cascadilla creek in Ithaca.

I saw Kaaterskill Falls from above when we first started our hike.

But husband wanted to go all the way to the bottom to get a closer look.

Our next stop I decided to walk around Woodstock,NY. Not much to the town despite hearing about it my entire life!

We found a brewery in Kingston with $5 pours on Monday. And played a couple of hands of SkipBo while we were there!

We closed out the night around a firepit at a brewery closer to where we were staying called Union Street Brewing Co.


The two days in NY flew by and Tuesday we were back on a plane heading back to Illinois. 











































 















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home