How did we end up here? We've lived in Northern Illinois for 29 years. Way too long for this vegetarian! Thankfully, we're only 90 miles from Madison,WI.

Monday, January 29, 2007

All felted

I loved it. My first felting project went pretty well.
Pre-felted picture:

Felted picture:

The Fiber Trends felted clog pattern is one of the quickest and easiest patterns I've knit up in my past year of knitting experience. They were a 3 movie knit and one of those movies was a foreign film. I'm a really slow knitter and a bit dyslexic reading patterns so if you're a quick knitter you could probably have these knit and felted in this time period. They're knit up on size 13 needles which seem really big after my Cardigan knitting. I picked up Patons Classic Merino Wool simply because it was the cheapest at the yarn shop I was in. I have a front loading washing machine which is great for energy efficiency but not so much for felting knitting projects. I babysat the dial on my machine for over half an hour worried it was going into the spin mode. I think a traditional machine agitates a bit more than my machine too. The cuff turned out exactly the way I wanted it while the main part looks like it needs a bit more. There are a few things I would do differently on the next pair. I would pay attention to how the colors were pooling if using a variegated color for the main part. One clog has a large area of brown right in the center and I would have liked the blues to be on this part. I would choose the plain sole vs. the "bumper" sole that I did on this pair. The "bumper" felted kind of weird and I think it would have looked alot better without this added feature. They're drying at the moment but I have a feeling I'm probably going to add some kind of "traction" to the bottom sole. I'll have to let you know what I come up with for this later in the week after I try them out on the wooden floors. Now I kind of want to knit up more pairs in different colors. Ohh maybe needle felt a big C for Chicago Bear slippers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Some folks really like to use puffy paint to draw weird designs on the bottoms to help with the traction issue. It's worth a shot, you can write stupid things on there, and it doesn't get much cheaper than puffy paint. :-)

The clogs look really nice!

8:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When do I get my pair?

DH

5:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home