How did we end up here? We've lived in Northern Illinois for 29 years. Way too long for this vegetarian! Thankfully, we're only 90 miles from Madison,WI.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

In Recovery

Well I made it through another horrible hospital experience. Exactly 2 weeks ago I spent 3 hours in the operating room. Thankfully I was able to come home the next evening. I've taken it easy and feel so much better than I did a couple of weeks ago.
These two weeks have been quite an adjustment as I'm so used to doing everything for my family. Thankfully my parents came into town and helped me with the groceries and carting the kids for the first week. This week I was blessed by a fellow homeschooling Mom who carted my kids everyday to a day camp at NIU. My husband has taken many hours away from work to help with other things as well and I'm so thankful for all his help.
I've been able to complete a couple of knitting projects since I won't be sewing for a while.
My orange Gable turned out ok. This isn't one of my favorites despite the multiple times I tried it on as I went, modifying the pattern to my liking. The top "lace panel" was rolling a lot so I crocheted an edging around the neck which helped. I used Lion Brand Cotton Ease and love the way this yarn knits up.


I completed my second Tomato Top. I used the new KnitPicks Comfy yarn. It's a really soft, inexpensive, non-wool yarn. I still have to block it but I think I'll wear it as often as my "green" Tomato Top.


Back in the spring I couldn't wait to go on vacation. It has been 16 months since I've taken a trip outside this Northern Illinois area. In March I planned a trip for the first week in July to upstate New York to hike and enjoy the beautiful Finger Lake region. I never expected to be recovering from surgery but here I am. Instead of hiking I'm parking my chair near a beautiful waterfall and enjoying every minute away from these flat corn fields. My road trip is 1527 miles. I bought a special lumbar seat cover equipped with massage and heat and I'm packing tons of cushioning pillows. I'm taking a detour on the way out to show my kids and husband Niagara Falls. As a kid my parents would take us up there a few times a year and it took my breath away every time.
My husband says I'm crazy for wanting to follow through with our trip. I say life is too short to sit around wishing we took more time off. At the end of my life I'm not going to be saying "Man I wish I had spent more time working away from my family."
I'm so thankful for every friend and family member who sent me well wishes for a fast recovery. Just knowing I had you all thinking and praying for me got me through the past two weeks.
Many thanks to all of you!

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

So glad that your recovery is going well and that you're keeping your plans for your trip! Have a wonderful time. It was a pleasure to see your boys the last few days--and Maria esp. enjoyed her time with Finn. Thank you for my treasures. I checked my dpn sizes to make a list of what I have, cast on with one of the beautiful new stitch markers (Carolyn, I'm a fan!), and tucked my new project in the yummy dessert bag. Thank you so much.

5:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home