How did we end up here? We've lived in Northern Illinois for 29 years. Way too long for this vegetarian! Thankfully, we're only 90 miles from Madison,WI.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Going Green

I returned very late on Saturday(another birthday spent on the road) from a week in upstate New York. I have lots of great photos to share of the many beautiful gorges but it will be in another post.
I thought I had been bombarded by "greenness" until I stepped foot in Ithaca. Here is a sign announcing their zero waste zone at their weekly Farmers' market.


Here's another sign explaining which bin to toss your "trash" into.


All the utensils and food packaging is completely compostable because it's made of corn. Pretty dang cool. Imagine if every city set up waste containers like this how much less waste would be in our already overstuffed landfills.


At the beginning of the year I came across a site called Morsbags. As it states on the site "Morsbags are fully recycled, fun and easy to make(download instructions), hygienic(washable), Portable, foldable, unique, cheap, biodegradable and reusable." Here's my first Morsbag


The fabric was on the clearance rack for $1 a yard and it took me all of 20 minutes to put together. I've prevented the use of lots of plastic throw away bags by using it on a daily basis.

There are many more sites with different styles of bags. Like here, and here, and here. The last site features a "groceries bag with it's own bag cozy or stuff sack so you can pop the groceries bag into your handbag and never be without!" I may have to sew up one of these so I always have a fabric tote with me.
Each reusable bag has the potential to eliminate 100's of plastic bags over its' lifetime.
Hopefully you can find a bag style/pattern that works best for you and get sewing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Okay, I LOVE the last link there. I really want to make one (or three!). I have to admit, though, it's terribly intimidating...

8:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home