How did we end up here? We've lived in Northern Illinois for 29 years. Way too long for this vegetarian! Thankfully, we're only 90 miles from Madison,WI.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Radical Homemaker

I rarely purchase a book site unseen but last week I ordered a book that is exactly what I needed. It's called Radical Homemakers:Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture.

I skipped the first half of the book, the "why", and went to the second half of the book, the "how". She interviewed 20 individuals and families that are living a home-centered, more sustainable life. They are young and old, men and women, single and married, with and without children. All these people "do not see their homes as a refuge from the world. Rather, each home was the center for social change, the starting point from which a better life would ripple out for everyone."

"If you ever considered quitting a job to plant tomatoes, read to a child, pursue creative work, can green beans and heal the planet, this is your book."

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Mummy has been RAVING about this book lately! She said she'd lend it to me when she's done, so I'll let you know when I get a chance to read it too.

Sure does make me long for a farm...

11:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home