How did we end up here? We've lived in Northern Illinois for 29 years. Way too long for this vegetarian! Thankfully, we're only 90 miles from Madison,WI.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

What are you gonna do next year?

I've never been much for setting resolutions at the start of a new year. This is probably because I used to make a list up every year but never seemed to accomplish anything on that list and become depressed by the time Thanksgiving rolled around. Last year-2005-I set one goal for myself. To lose weight. A few weeks before Christmas last year I realized I no longer had any pants that fit so I headed for the thrift store. To my Husband's dismay this is where I buy alot of Jeans for about $4 each. That trip was the motivating factor for my resolution. I had to buy size 16 jeans and I weighed in at almost 180 pounds.
I had been here before. For both my pregnancies I was as big as a house and nothing fit but those years don't count. It also took me back 20 years. I was 13 years old, 210 pounds, size 18-20, and going to start high school in the Fall. By the start of 9th grade I had dropped 60 pounds and bought clothes in the non-plus size section of the store for the first time in years. This was also the same time I decided to stop eating meat. For the first 13 years of my life I had been the fat girl but no longer. I pledged to never again feel as overweight and out of shape.
Here I sit on the last day of 2005 with my goal accomplished. I'm 50 pounds lighter and in a size 6 jeans. I did it.
Maybe my goals in the past seemed so unattainable because I set too many. Maybe I work better with having that one goal staring me in the face instead of the ten things I'd like to accomplish. So I've been thinking about which goal I should focus on for 2006. It would be nice to set goals of moving to a different climate or taking a vacation out of the country. I must be realistic with my goal and these two just don't fit into my budget for the New Year.
In 2006 I am going to try to become more organized. I can see a future where I need a specific document and I'm able to locate it in 5 minutes or less. I will be able to answer the calls of "Do you know where my ........... is?" I will have a place for everything and clutter will be a thing of the past. Hey if I can accomplish my one goal of 2005 I am very optimistic I can conquer one goal in 2006. I have lots of mini goals like learning to knit more efficiently and making lots more yarn(and wire?) projects in crochet and knit. Having such fun goals could take over the one goal of the year. As long as I work on keeping the yarn stash and works-in-progress somewhat organized I will be working on my one major goal, right?
So, now that I've written my goal down, what are you gonna do next year?

1 Comments:

Blogger Katherine said...

I'm going to start my holiday knitting and crochet in September.

And by the way, you freaking ROCK, Anna. SuperHighFive on losing weight and being healthy about it. You're awesome!

9:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home