How did we end up here? We've lived in Northern Illinois for 29 years. Way too long for this vegetarian! Thankfully, we're only 90 miles from Madison,WI.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Eviction Notice

I hate to give up on anything. I wanted to start my own home based business a couple of years ago and went for it. I had a web site, an email address, a PO Box, a toll free number, t-shirts and business cards, and even special insurance. It never took off and I chalked it up to a learning experience.
I signed up through the city to plant a garden plot this year. I wish I could say I had a green thumb but I somehow manage to kill every living plant that I come into contact with. On Saturday I received an eviction notice from the City Clerk's Office. I had until June 21st to get my garden in order or they were taking over my plot and would never rent to me again. I can't give up. I must conquer the weeds and somehow get vegetables to grow. My parents are excellent gardeners. They could write a book on organic gardening they're so good at it. Shouldn't this skill have been passed on to me? Why wasn't I paying attention the first 18 years of my life? Every muscle in my body was aching last night from 2 days worth of manual labor trying to make my garden presentable. I can remember people stopping by my parent's house when I was younger wanting to buy manure(we had four horses at the time). I would laugh in their faces at the absurdity of charging for poop. I would show them to the pile and encourage them to take as much as they wanted. I've become one of those city folk paying for bagged manure. I can hear my Dad laughing now. Somehow my children seem convinced I will surely have tons of pumpkins, zucchini, and tomatoes in a couple of months. I should be optimistic but I know I will probably get another letter in a few weeks revoking my gardening privileges. My Husband will be laughing at me and at the same time saying, "I told you so." I hate that even more than quitting.
In other adventures,I stumbled upon some Bernat cotton blend yarn($1.30/skein on the clearance shelf) that I'm going to use for my next KAL with the Sexy Knitter's Club. I knit up a gauge swatch last week and am ready to get started on the Tempting II July 1st.
My favorite place in this town to get veggie soup is having a special celebration for the first day of summer tomorrow. In celebration of the first day of summer on June 21st, Panera Bread is providing a "Today I'm Taking Mom to Lunch at Panera Bread!" coupon, inviting kids to take Mom to lunch to thank them for all their hard work!
Yay, summer is officially here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home